Cherie had a massive perineal abscess that was repeatedly left untreated by her GP. This led to necrotising fasciitis, a serious flesh-eating disease.
When Cherie attended hospital to have a gastric band fitted, it was hoped this would help her diabetes. The operation went well and she was discharged the following day. Four days later, however, she began to feel extremely unwell. She could feel a painful swelling near to her anus, had an upset stomach and a temperature.
Cherie continued to rest for another two days but the pain simply became unbearable. Being unable to drive because of the gastric band operation, she asked her GP to make a home visit. Following an examination, the doctor diagnosed Cherie with a possible abscess and prescribed antibiotics.
The medication did not help Cherie’s condition and three days later she was still in agonising pain. While having her gastric band stitches removed, she asked the nurse to inspect her bottom. The nurse was evidently shocked and immediately asked the GP to attend. He admitted the abscess looked worse than before and prescribed yet more antibiotics.
Again, the medication did little to relieve Cherie’s symptoms. Two days after seeing the GP the pain was so severe that she was unable to stand or sit down to go to the toilet. Being a Sunday she rang the out of hours GP service and was told to wait for an ambulance. She was seen by paramedics who rushed her to hospital.
Soon after being admitted, Cherie was diagnosed with necrotising fasciitis and a massive perineal abscess. She had two operations to remove the dead tissue, leaving her with a wound 8cm long and 3cm deep. She remained in hospital for 10 days, during which time the wound on her buttock had to be re-dressed every day.
Cherie continues to suffer pain. While she was recovering she was unable to undertake any household chores. She also had to take time off work, which impacted on her income.
Feeling worried about the financial implications of her illness, Cherie contacted us for advice. We suggested that the GP should have referred her to the hospital when he examined Cherie at home. The abscess would then have been drained by a relatively small incision. Had this treatment been provided, she would not have gone on to develop necrotising fasciitis and would not have required extensive debridement.
We helped Cherie make a claim for the pain and suffering caused by the GP’s negligence. She was awarded over £5,000 compensation.
(Details which might identify our client have been changed.)