If you are thinking about claiming compensation for necrotising fasciitis, you will want to know how the claims process works.
Medical negligence claims
When you make a medical negligence claim, your solicitor will handle the entire claims process on your behalf. However, you will need to correspond with your solicitor throughout, and will need to assist with things such as a witness statement.
You will also have to visit a medical expert, who will be instructed to examine you before writing a report on your condition. Of course, this will not apply if you are making a claim on behalf of your loved one who has passed away.
The medical negligence claims process
The entire medical negligence claims process can take a number of years to complete, as there are many steps that must be fulfilled before a claim can settle. These include:-
- Obtaining and reviewing your medical records
- Taking witness statements from you and possibly your family members
- Asking a medical expert to write a report about liability and causation, and condition and prognosis. A medical expert may need to examine you first. More than one medical expert report may be needed
- Asking a barrister for advice regarding your case. Such advice will be sought throughout the claims process
- Sending a letter of claim to the other side stating your intention to bring a claim against them and outlining the reasons for doing so
- Waiting for a letter of response from the other side which will either state their intention to either defend the claim or admit liability
- Issuing court proceedings, which is a formality and does not mean you have to attend court
- Calculating an appropriate sum of damages, which includes calculating your actual financial loss
- Negotiating a settlement with the other side
- Settling the claim
It is very unusual for a claim to go to court. Ordinarily a claim will settle before then, as it is in the best interests of both sides to do so.
Making a necrotising fasciitis claim
If you would like to know more about making a necrotising fasciitis claim, please get in touch with us today. We will put you through to a solicitor who specialises in necrotising fasciitis claims, giving you the chance to ask any questions you might have about the claims process. One of our solicitors will also take you through the various funding options available, answering your queries and concerns.